Monday, January 27, 2014

Cypress Knee Santa

Here is a cypress knee Santa I carved in about a half hour. The painting took about 4 days....waiting for paint to dry. Also I painted the small Santa Christmas ornament, though it is still missing the eye for a hanging hook.

This little guy was carved about 3 years ago. I wood burned the beard just prior to this painting.

Be careful and enjoy the splinters.

Fairy Door Revisited

Here is the assembled door, all glued up and ready for the finish. The wood is ceder, the 'hinges' are from a copper sheet, thin enough that I cut it with my carving tools. The door knob ladybug cost $1.99 and is the only item not from a scrap bin.

I still need to cut a keyhole slot in the back to hang the door on the outside wall.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Fairy Doors

I started building a Fairy Door for the shop. I used 1/4" plywood for a base and I'm using ceder for the door and frame.

The hinges are copper and are not shown here, yet. I'll also trim the door with ceder to keep water away from the plywood edges.

Here you see the door set into the opening but not attached. the carving was tough cause ceder tears easily. I want to give the flower a yellow wash and the leaves green. You can see where I added some highlights with a wood burning tool.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Turned Lidded Box

Here is a small turned box I made from Myrtle Wood. I was after a small depth and a simple lid design for a particular item to store in the box for Christmas. But the requirements changed and I finished it after Christmas. The top handle is walnut and was turned from a small scrap.

I have a pop can to show the size and the finish I put on the box. One more picture with the lid on the box.

Enjoy and be careful of the splinters.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Brush Duster

My wife had picked up a 35mm Duster kit from Rockler this Christmas. I've included a picture of the package wrapping as we'll as the brush itself.

Since I have a little spare Myrtle wood I grabbed a chunk for the handle, so I've added a picture of the other end of the source piece and the finished handle. Kind of a before and after shot. The opening I drilled was 1/2" deep, and then I turned the handle accounting for the size of the opening.

In the final picture, the brush is not epoxied in yet. I am writing this while the epoxy sets.

And finally

At the bottom of the first image you will see to portable diamond whetstones for sharpening tools. l did a quick touch up on my lathe tools and it did help with the turning

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Santa Clause's Revisited

Yes, I know the holidays are over.  But I hadn't posted the finished Santa Clauses, though they have all found new homes.

Here they all are after sealing them and waiting the new owners.

Enjoy, and be careful of the paint drips.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

More Pens

There was a request for a set of pens to give as gifts, so I'm showing here the six pens I made.

I think the top one is bloodwood, and number 4 & 5 are Myrtle wood. The rest is all a guess.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.